Gastonia pet owners are you asking, “How Old is My Pet in Human Years?”
As your pet ages – their veterinary needs become greater. Since pets age at a faster rate than humans, Wilkinson Animal Hospital recommends an exam every six months after your pet reaches age 7 in order to ensure your older pet is happy, healthy and pain-free.
Good senior pet healthcare requires attention to several factors:
- Diet and weight management
- Joint health – ask us about pet laser therapy!
- Cancer screening
- Heart disease screening
- Dental care
- Diabetes screening
- Function of thyroid, kidneys, and liver
- Eye and vision health
- Pain management – ask us about pet laser therapy!
Regular exams and testing allows us to determine what is normal for your pet. Knowing these results help us detect any abnormalities or problems early. When diagnosed early, many conditions can be successfully managed to lead to better outcomes for your pet and treatment costs can often be reduced.
Wilkinson Animal Hospital has developed a comprehensive senior wellness program designed to meet the changing needs of your pet as he or she ages. Our senior pet wellness program includes:
- Complete physical veterinary exam – evaluates the heart, lungs, eyes, ears, abdomen, joints and skin
- Intestinal parasite exam – Check for worms
- Early Disease Detection Testing:
- Urinalysis – detects ph balance, crystals in urine, abnormal cells and any signs of urinary tract infection or bladder cancer
- Blood tests – evaluates liver, kidneys, thyroid, blood sugar, white & red blood cell count, and platelet count
*We may also recommend further diagnostics based on exam and test results.