Fluorouracil USP 5% (or brand names Effudex, Carac, and Fluroplex) can causes illness and even death in dogs and cats, even when ingesting small amounts. This medication is commonly used for precancerous and cancerous skin lesions in humans. You should keep the medication out of reach of your pets and use caution when applying the medication so that your pet doesn’t lick it from your skin. Symptoms of exposure include vomiting, seizures, or other illness.
The FDA has not received any reports involving cats, but they are expected to be sensitive.
What is recommended by the FDA to prevent ingestion by your pet is:
- Store medication out of reach
- Throw away or clean cloth or applicator that may have the medication on it.
- Avoid leaving any medication residue on your hands, clothing, carpeting, floor or furniture that your pet may be exposed to and lick.
- Consult your health care provider to see if you should cover the treated area.
- If your pet has ingested this medication, consult your veterinarian immediately.
- If your pet is exhibiting signs of vomiting, seizing, or other illness, seek veterinary care immediately and inform your vet of the details of exposure.